My friend P.J. is going to help me with the rocket.

My friend P.J. came over today. I told him about my trip and the rocket and he asked if he could help build it. P.J.'s always been good in science and math, so he'll be good to have around. Plus his Dad is some kind of a mechanic with a workshop full of springs and wheels, rubber belts and hooks and things that I have no idea what are used for. His Dad also has lots of tools that P.J. said he was sure we could use.
P.J. brought over a big can of ball bearings, a greasy cog and two old hub caps. I think it was his way of showing me he was serious about helping. I'm not sure what we'll use it all for, but you never know - a rocket is a complicated piece of machinery.
Grandpa dropped off his old flying jacket and an old leather football helmet. He said I could use them on my trip. The jacket is really cool - it has all these patches on it that have something to do with flying old planes.

As far as the helmet goes, I can't imagine it was much protection for playing football. Grandpa says players were tougher back then. I think after getting hit in the head wearing that helmet you just didn't care because you probably couldn't feel much anymore.

Anyway, like I said, Grandpa's a great guy, so I just said thank you and let him ruffle my hair.

I have to say, I'm a little concerned about him, he seems very eager to go to Mars with me.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool idea. I loved it. Keep us updated on Ted's progress. Great sense of humor..love his school pic. (my daughter got a kick out of your blog and the idea of having your character have a blog.
Amy

Ted said...

Thanks, Amy!